The Course of Action to restore Civilian Life in the North and East of Sri Lanka:
1. Just like the Truth and Reconciliation Tribunal of South Africa against Apartheid, a similar tribunal should be constituted with international panel of Justice and grievances looked into and set right within a reasonable time frame. The first announcement should be a General Pardon to all rebels since they cannot be separated from Tamils of Sri Lanka.
2. Restoration of Status Quo Ante:
Whatever is the Sinhala new settlement, first the land held by Tamils should be re-conveyed them in a phased manner within a reasonable time frame not more than a year.
3. Constitutional Amendment is brought to see that the land rights of Tamils are in alienable- something similar to the Special Status what Kashmir enjoys in India
4. As a priority, international community must come forward to rehabilitate the entire Tamil refugees is all over the world with a guarantee to dignified livelihood.
5. As a part of public policy, the GoSL must earmark 20% of spending for Tamils- identical to the” Special Component Plan’ in India for the marginalized people.
6. Tamils be brought to the main stream Sri Lanka as part of state sposnired affirmative action with reservation in jobs, admission in schools and colleges.
N.K.Kumaresan Raja PhD.,
Department of Political Science,
Annamalai Nagar- 608 002,
Tamil Nadu, India.
(Formerly Professor, Centre for Rural Studies, Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration, Mussoorie- 248 179, India)